Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Greek, Roman, and British Mythology



Greek, Roman, and British cultures were very much predominant in ancient Europe. The myths and tales of each of these countries are historically integrated in each other, in fact, it is difficult for historians to accurately pinpoint what Roman mythology was like before it was introduced to Greek mythology because of its immediate influence on the former. Most aspects of Roman mythology were not recorded, but instead kept in the memories of people who knew the stories well. This made it very easy for Roman mythology to change and distort as the Roman citizens heard of other myths. Because of this cultural integration, Greek and Roman myths became increasingly similar as the two cultures became more and more involved with each other.

Roman mythology often centered around the deification of significant Roman figures, such as emperors and heroes of war. The stories themselves often romanticize the history of Rome, and the beasts explained in such stories often appeared physically as hybrids of two or more animals. For example, the Roman harpy was a bird with the head and chest of a woman and was believed to control the winds. Ancient Greek literature also uses this animal hybridization to create creatures, but Greek monsters are built less around a story and more around an inexplicable phenomenon that needs explaining.

British mythology is more human-centric. Most of the monsters out of British mythology are humanoid in form or based off of man's best friend, the dog. Humanoid monsters, such as the green man, a man with foliage sprouting out of his face who is largely responsible for springtime, mermaids, people with fish tails that lure sailors to their doom, and selkies, seal people, seemed to have the same purpose as Greek and Roman monsters did- to explain the unexplainable or to add a sense of mystery and fear to a dangerous place. Dog-based monsters, such as Faerie dogs, which are banshee-like barking omens of death that live in the dark parts of the forest.

For my product, I will be creating a new mythological creature by taking reference and influence from these three cultures. I will begin with a phenomenon, like the Greeks, use the hybrid characteristic coined by the Romans, and the human base that the British were fond of.

I began with the question of deaths in the desert. Ancient peoples did not know much about dehydration, so I've created a beast that roams the desert in packs and picks off unprepared travelers. The species is a centaur with a tiger's body. Possible additions include tribal head tattoos, small wings behind ears, and pincer-like sharp teeth.


(Progress: I have tons of concept sketches but no working scanner at the moment, I will upload the final product and its progress as it will be done digitally! References used)


Works Cited
Hargraves, Richard, Elaine Kenzel, and Miami, FL. Dade County Public Schools. Greek And Roman Mythology: English, Mythology. n.p.: 1971. ERIC. Web. 6 Jan. 2015.
Hayman, Richard. "Ballad Of The Green Man." History Today 60.4 (2010): 37-44. Academic Search Elite. Print. 30 Dec, 2014
Morford, Mark P.O. "Classical Mythology, 8th Edition," 2007. Web. 30 Dec, 2014
"Roman Mythology." Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia (2014): 1p. 1. Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia. Print. 29 Dec, 2014.

11 comments:

  1. At first glance I thought your topic was something I knew a lot about from other classes, but I actually learned a lot from just the blog post. Also, your idea for the product (creating a new creature) was super creative, and you really thought hard about something humans would fear very much, which makes the product even cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot from your post- it's a really interesting topic. The links you have definitely make your post more interactive. Your product idea is also very intriguing. I can't wait to see it once you can scan it in. The only negative- you really should have some pictures. They make your post nicer to look at, and a larger number of people will be inclined to read your post after seeing interesting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yeah, I was looking at other peoples' blog posts and seeing the pictures they included and it looks so much nicer when the text is broken into smaller bites by images. I'll do that, thanks for the advice! :))

      Delete
  3. Your post was full of information. I thought one thing that made it really great was how you didn't have any useless information. You also wrote it in a way that hooked the reader in and made them really interested. I really loved learning about this topic from your blog post and your final product made it really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how original your project and blog were. Before reading your blog post, I had never even though about this side of mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before reading this I knew British and Roman mythology was different. However, you brought up some points I did not know already. I learned quite a bit from this post. I also think you could have added an image in the post to separate the information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your post, I think that it is very informative and shows a side to British and Roman mythology that I never even thought about before. I like how you added links to other websites in your post, it really gives more information about the topic. I think that if you added pictures to separate the information and better illustrate your point. Overall I loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took a class this year on mythology so I have some knowledge of mythologies. I never learned about British mythology so it was cool to learn some things about it like how a lot of the creatures were humanoid and the green man. For roman mythology I never heard of the harpy so that was interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also did my project on this, and I definitely learned a lot of information that I didn't know! Also, I knew nothing about British mythology, so that was especially interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete