Sunday, December 21, 2014

Glass Making in Ancient Rome


I decided to research the history of Glass Making because Glass making was a form of art in Rome and Egypt. Glass Making is one of Alexandria's oldest and most successful industries. The earliest Egyptian glass vessels date from about 1500 B.C and glass continued to be made in Egypt through the period of the Pharaohs, the Ptolemaic Kings and the Roman conquest and occupation. In my research, I have learned that Glass is made of sand and plant ash. Glass making is important to Roman and Egyptian life because it is one of the most successful industries of the time.
Glass Making comes in two forms, Glass Making and Glass working. The difference between the two is that Glass Making is the process before the Glass maker, molds/ works the glass into a bulb or a big bowl/vase. The glass making process was the preparation of the glass before it got molded into whatever you want (Fleming). Once the glass was plastic enough for working, there were a few methods for shaping glass such as, core forming, free blowing and mold blowing. Core forming is one of the earliest forms of glass making (Core formed glass). Another form of glass making is the free glass blowing technique, With this technique Glass makers discovered they could inflate glass into a bubble at the end of a tube (Free blown glass). The last glass making technique is the mold blowing technique. Mold - Blown glass is made by blowing hot glass into a mold made of clay, wood or metal (Mold blown glass).


The Latin word for glass making is “vitrum factio”. Because I am interested in the glass making technique and what you can make out of glass. I decided to create a short story that depicted what an Alien would think of the glass making process in Ancient Rome for my product. The story depicts an Alien learning how to make his own glass ornaments to give to his family as presents for Christmas. I hope you enjoy my post on the history of Roman Glass making. Hope it is informative!

Here is the link to my product.



Source1- Fleming, Stuart J. "Late Roman Glass At The University Of Pennsylvania Museum.." Expedition 39.2 (1997): 25. Academic Search Elite. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.


Source2- Fleming, Stuart J. "Roman Glass - How Glass Was Made." Roman Glass - How Glass Was Made. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Dec. 2014.


Source3- Getty, J. Paul. "Glass making Technique: Core-Formed Glass." Glass making Technique: Core-Formed Glass. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Dec. 2014.


Source4- Getty, J. Paul. "Glass making Technique: Free-Blown Glass.


Glass making Technique: Free-Blown Glass. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Dec. 2014.


Source5- Getty, J. Paul. "Glass making Technique: Mold-Blown Glass."


Glass making Technique: Mold-Blown Glass. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Dec.

3 comments:

  1. Your hyperlinks and sources all were good. I can tell that you put a lot of work into this. The only thing is that I couldn't actually view your final product. It totally could be a problem with my computer, but you might want to check that out. Otherwise, it was really good. I did the same topic and I still learned new things from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot about glass blowing from class and from our field trip, but there was some new information in your post that I've never come across. For example, I had no idea that glass making and glass blowing were two different things. Your links and information are very good. Two things I would change are making sure your product is viewable to everyone, and I would make your sources a smaller font and space them tighter together. They're not as important as the rest of the blog post and make it look longer than it needs to. Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you taking pictures and asking questions during the field trip. I like how you used the experience for your project.I also think that your blog post was very informative and to the point.

    ReplyDelete