Sunday, December 21, 2014

Glassblowing: Past to Present



By: Emeline

After learning briefly about glassblowing in class, and then going on the field trip to an artist’s shop, I was intrigued and inspired to do more research into the origins of glassblowing, and its future. Also, I have been to Murano, Italy, where one of the biggest industries of glassblowing is, and it was so interesting to me. I found glassblowing to have a broad and plentiful amount of information and related topics. Extensive research shows just how far glassblowing has come.




The earliest forms of glass may have dated back to around 1200 B.C., but glassblowing started off in Ancient Syria in about 300 B.C. The invention of the blowpipe is what made this possible, and from there it was spread around the world and evolved.

When it reached Europe, some countries, such as Italy, wanted to be the best, even if it involved holding artists hostage in Murano. Although this may be referred to as very cruel, the advancements are undeniable. Now, as I said before, Murano is one of the best places in the world to not only get some of the best blown glass, but see very talented artists at work.

Eventually, the artists were able to spread the techniques and knowledge worldwide. Glassblowing reached America in the 1600’s and since then, glass has been evolved, industrialized, and become not only art, but a very useful resource in all different fields.

Glass today has become a very modern form of art around the world. Artists like Dale Chihuly have taken their ideas and turned them into a new form of expression. Glass is used for everyday life, and for creating art. In today’s glassblowing, many forward steps have been taken.

For a more in-depth view into glassblowing, including the history, techniques, and other information, see the product below. Not only do I talk about the past and evolution of glassblowing, but I tried to predict what is to come in the future. Artists like Dale Chihuly may be able to create architectural feats like never before with different formulas for glass that are being experimented with. Doctors, scientists, and people with practical needs may foresee entire walls made of touchscreen glass, and thinner, more durable phones.






Works Cited:


Chihuly, Dale, Barbara Rose, and Dale Martin. Lanzone. Chihuly Projects. Seattle, WA:
Portland, 2000. Print.

“Chihuly.” chihuly.com. 2014 Chihuly Studios. 20 December 2014. Web.

“Glass & the Future.” glassallianceeurope.eu. Glass Alliance Europe 2014.

Herren, Bill. “History and Evolution of Glassblowing.” americanvisionwindows.com. 2014.

12 December 2014. Web.

MacManus, Christopher. “Corning’s Mind-blowing Concept of a Glass Future.”

www.cnet.com. 5 February 2012. 17 December 2014. Web.

Mallozzi, Vincent M. “Blowing Glass is His Day Job, and his Other Job Too.” nytimes.com.

8 June 2012. 16 December 2012. Print.

Owen, James. “Ancient Egyptian City Yields World’s Earliest Glass Works.”

news.nationalgeographic.com. 16 June 2005. 13 December 2014. Web.

Smith, Jeff. “Glass & Glassblowing.” archstglass.com. 13 December 2014. Web.

Toothman, Jessika. “How Glassblowing Works.” Entertainment.howstuffworks.com. 15

December 2014. Web.

Walas, Joseph W. “The Scientific Glassblowing Learning Center.” ilpi.com. 2002. 14

December 2014. Web.

“What’s the Science of Glassblowing?” Wonderopolis.com. NCFL 2014. 19 December

2014. Web.
Product:

https://docs.google.com/a/egsd.net/presentation/d/1cNX9Ez-r5TLt1QEZ2of-9FSK6LSxg0m35PuhjBOHK30/edit?usp=sharing





























5 comments:

  1. I really liked your project. I thought that the whole thing was really interesting. The pictures you used were really cool and made a really good way of enhancing the readers knowledge of the topic. Your final project was also extremely informational, and was really great at keeping the reader interested in what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your blog post/essay, but I couldn't access your product! I think you did a really good job with picking out and incorporating the really interesting parts of your topic-- it's really strange how artists were held captive in Murano to force them to be productive. I also like how you used pictures to help illustrate exactly what you were talking about. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog, however I was unable to view your project, it is probably just my computer. I did my project on Glass making as well and I learned new things like, that Glass blowing reached America in the 1600's. Also I loved the pictures, I thought they were really cool and they really got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I couldn't see your product, I really enjoyed the more in-depth view to glassblowing in the modern age. After seeing the pictures of the amazing glass blowing art, these new methods really blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how the show the evolution of glassblowing through times by showing its way into Europe and then America. I never new that glassblowing dated back to 1200 B.C. and thought that was really cool. Glassblowing was a big deal then if countries like Italy would take others as hostages to become the best.

    ReplyDelete